In 1916 the first motorized hearses were purchased, yet it was the better part of two years later before the last of the horse-drawn hearses was retired. In 1920 Jack sold his interest in the business to Sam. By 1926 the business had completed its evolution and had become a complete funeral home and was located on the corner of 22nd and Broadway.
An automobile accident took the life of Sam Levy on September 12, 1930, but his widow, the former Aline Lion, and his son, 23-year-old Joe, continued to operate the business. As owner and manager, mother and son formed a partnership. In 1965 Joe was approached with an offer to sell the funeral home to a holding company. Without hesitation he turned down the offer saying that a Levy would continue in control of the almost 100 year old institution. On April 30, 1969, some one hundred and one year after his grandfather established the business J. Levy and Bro. was sold. Joe remained an officer until 1974.
Over the years J. Levy & Bro. has meant more to the history of Galveston than just being a long-standing funeral establishment. A part of the community, J. Levy & Bro Funeral Home has served generation after generation of Galveston families during their most trying time.
In 2001, native Galvestonians D. J. and Jill Russo Termini purchased J. Levy & Bro. Funeral Home. A strong desire to better serve Galveston and Galveston County prompted the Termini family to proudly continue the Levy bother’s legacy to provide quality and affordable funeral services and begin a new tradition in the celebration of life. In 2006 the Termini's renewed their commitment to service by adding their own name after their predecessor’s name. J. Levy & Termini Funeral Home continues the nearly 140 years tradition begun by Joseph and Benjamin Levy, caring for the Galveston community and its families.